Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Jacket progress

     So there's good news and there's bad news. The good news is, look at these pockets.

Again with the "showing up a totally different color in photographs than in real life" thing. Pink is such a pain in the butt sometimes.

     "Daaamn, those are some fine-ass pockets," you're probably thinking. And you're right, they are. Curved edges are one of those things that stress me out when I'm sewing, for some reason. The developed, logical part of my brain says "it's just a matter of gathering a bit to get the curve to sit right," but the unevolved, idiot part of my brain goes "you can't sew a CURVED line, you'd need black magic for that!" I can't explain it. But after the disproportionate stress of sewing it, I always appreciate a nicely turned out curved edge.

     Right, now the bad news. The bad news is that once I got the two front pieces connected to the back piece, I realized that the sizing on this particular pattern is just plain wrong. Now, I know pattern sizing is always a bit dodgy, but usually I can at least figure out a good starting point, then adjust to fit later. But this jacket is so comically huge that it looks like Rubeus Hagrid's art smock. Or possibly the uniform of a cult of mentally unstable Avon ladies. It's bad, y'all. I'm not even mad or frustrated about it, because it's really quite comical. Are you ready to see it? Ok, here we go.


     (Please insert that downward-sloping "hooooo boy" whistle of dismay here for maximum effect.)

     It is the world's most cheerfully hued potato sack! Run for the hills, pink Staypuft Marshmallow Man is coming for you! Liberace called, and he wants his hair-cutting cape back! And other such "Oh my God, this thing is a mess" jokes.

     It's a long way from what it's supposed to look like, is what I'm saying.

The finished product I'm aiming for: classic shape, funky color, fun details (like the non-standard buttons, and the possibility of some white piping being thrown into the mix to make this whole thing look even more bubblegum-ridiculous).


     Yeah, so that's a bit of a bump in the road on the way to the cute spring jacket of my dreams. But fear not, I have faith that it can be fixed! It may take a bit of re-sizing, a bit of re-shaping, and some general finagling, but it can -- and will -- be done!



No comments:

Post a Comment