Friday, June 27, 2014

Friday...Food Brag?

     Jen brought the babies over the other day so we could help watch them while she got some work done, which means...foooood! See, I always make something extra delicious when she's coming over, because she's the only person I know who loves food as much as me. I don't just mean "ooh, the brownie looks good..." when you're at a restaurant, but the kind of "OOOH what if you got the brownie, then the cheesecake on top? WITH GANACHE? YES. MAKE IT SO" mad scientistery that makes disgustingly delicious discoveries and some mistakes that shall never be brought up again (ahem, chocolate pie with cheez-it crust pregnancy invention). So I mean, yeah, I could just be like "here, I made nachos," but that's just not how we do. I made NACHOS

I took this picture from above so it wouldn't look quite so towering and intimidating, but I was just being modest. It was a beast. 

     I don't even know how it happened, really. I was just cooking some ground beef and pinto beans, babies crawling up my legs, in my happy place (basically I was born to be a 1950s housewife, but with like...rights and opinions and no sexist bullshit and a less-high-maintenance hairstyle), then once I started layering everything together it got kind of meditative and I didn't realize how out of hand it had gotten until it was too late. Oh well, it happens. Deliciously. 

     And theeeeeeen (there's always an "and then" with me) the real centerpiece. Jen's been wanting a dipped ice cream cone since we went to the beach at the beginning of the month, but apparently it cannot be procured at any eatery in the whole damn state (we looked). So I figured I'd make them! All I did was melt some semi-sweet chocolate chips with some coconut oil. The logic behind this is that coconut oil is solid below 76 degrees, so it gives the chocolate that instant-solidity it needs to stick on an ice cream cone. I stuck them in the freezer right after anyway, just to make sure it was nice and frozen. 

Looks like the ice cream cone from the episode of Spongebob where he thinks he turned Squidward into ice cream. No?
     And they were super tasty! Messy, but that's probably because I got over-ambitious (and had way too  much chocolate sauce) and coated the inside of the cones in chocolate too before freezing them. They were frozen at first, but holding them to eat them melted the chocolate so there was kind of a chocolate pool in the bottom of the cone. Not that you'll ever hear me complain about chocolate pools. That's still a win in my book!


No comments:

Post a Comment