Wednesday, February 26, 2014

I am more guacamole than human now.

     I've been on a guacamole kick lately. A serious one. One that requires me to buy avocados every single time I'm out of the house. But when I went to mix some up to go with dinner last night, I realized we didn't have any chips. Quelle horreur! So I decided it was as good a time as any to try making my own chips from tortillas, which I've wanted to do for a while now anyway. Let's see how it turned out! 


     Pretty edible! All I did was brush some lime juice over corn tortillas, sprinkle them with salt, cut them with a pizza cutter, and throw them into a pan with a bit of vegetable oil and butter. It was kind of tricky to get the frying time right -- it has to land somewhere between not long enough (chewy chips) and too long (burnt). My final verdict though? They were tasty enough in a pinch, but not much better than any corn tortilla chips you could buy in the store, so not really worth the effort in my opinion. Maybe you have to make your own tortillas too for the chips to turn out amazing. I couldn't say, because I don't have the patience for that. 

     Anyway, since we're on the subject, lemme tell you how I make my guac (in case you're curious)! 

     I don't use a recipe because I don't like to measure things. First I chop up some red onion and cilantro (or ask Amanda to do it for me because red onions don't make her cry like they do to me -- I form too much of an emotional attachment I guess), then add a bit of garlic (I use the pre-minced stuff most of the time out of laziness), red pepper flakes, and lime juice (again, mine comes from a bottle. Running theme here: I'm lazy when it comes to my snack foods). The first time I made this I used a jalapeno too, but I hate hate hate handling hot peppers because I can't be trusted to not stick my fingers in my eyes an hour later like an idiot and set them on fire, so I don't bother anymore. The red pepper flakes add enough heat in place of the fresh jalapeno for me since I don't like my guacamole too spicy anyway. 


      Ok, gratuitous ingredient shot (I dunno, I guess I thought I'd include it in case you don't know what cilantro looks like?) aside, then all that's left is to add the avocados and mash it all together. Tangent time: I find scooping avocados out of their skins to be ridiculously therapeutic. Like, I kind of feel like I need to keep a stash of them around so when I'm feeling all rage-y and so anxious I want to peel my face off I can just go scoop some avocados. People would come looking for me and just find me sitting on the floor in the middle of a pile of avocado skins, eating a fistful of avocado out of my hand. Am I alone in this? Nah, I'm sure there's a corner of the internet somewhere devoted to avocado scooping. I'm not gonna google it though. Too scared of what I'd find. Anyway, here's what the guacamole looks like all mashed up and staged in a faux-artsy way with a chip dunked in it, because that's what I'm here for. 


     Ta-da! I realize that guacamole is one of those things that isn't very appealing based on looks alone, so you'll just have to take my word for it that it's good. Trust, it's what's for dinner tonight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment