Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Just a friendly reminder...

     ...that gluing stuff to bobby pins and hair clips is really easy and super fun and you get new stuff for free! I've been on a bit of a spree lately. I dunno what it is that makes me want to take random things and stick them in my hair for decoration. Some sort of bizarre birdlike instinct to augment my nest of hair before spring comes? Who knows. The heart wants what the heart wants, etc. Anyway, here are some of the things I've turned into hair bedazzlements recently.


     The first idea I had was to make a pretty little velvet bow from some pink ribbon I've had sitting around since before Christmas. I want to wear it on top of my head like Marie, the cat from The Aristocats. Except like...human. Like this picture that I pinned on Pinterest.

     Then I figured I'd go digging through my stash of bits and bobs while the glue gun was still hot and see what else I could come up with. I've had the red sequined Hello Kitty-style bow for ages and I had always intended to make it into a hair pin so I could run around being stupidly adorable like a Japanese cat -- follow your dreams, kids! I picked it up on clearance at a craft store and forgot about it until now! The seagull, that big round gold thing (please read with upward inflection to denote my complete lack of a clue as to what that ever was), and the floral doodad were all floating around in a jar of miscellaneous potential craft supplies that I keep. You'll notice that for most of these, a single bobby pin hot-glued to the back was enough to hold everything together (the pink bow has one tucked into the middle piece of the bow on the back with a dot of glue for hold). For the big floral...thing, though, I decided to use several pins in more of a decorative hair-comb formation, since it's heavier and could use more support. I could have just glued it to an actual hair comb, but I didn't have one on hand and I'm far too impatient to wait until I can go out and get one. So this works! That one might be my favorite, because it actually started out looking all sad and rhinestone-less because they had all fallen out years ago. I'm not sure where it came from, but I think it might have been in a bag of broken jewelry that my mom bought for super cheap on impulse at an antique store. Which makes me even happier to bring it back to a state of functionality!


No comments:

Post a Comment