Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday Favorites: pink and cats and hobbits, oh my!

     Let me just say in advance: if you think this edition of my weekly favorites is too pink, just be glad I didn't buy the Hello Kitty clock that I saw on clearance at Target. Sadly, though my preferred aesthetic leans toward childlike whimsy, even I couldn't justify that one. But onwards, to the things that made me happy recently! 

PLANNING LIFE LIKE A GROWN-UP WHO HAS HER SHIT TOGETHER



     I got this most perfect little planner on earth so that I can try to better organize myself. I've got a lot more going on in this new year (more freelance jobs, more custom cakes to make), so I needed a way to make sure I wouldn't lose track of anything! This little guy is pretty much exactly what I wanted: it's pink and fun and different enough that it could belong to the girl who bakes your kid a birthday cake shaped like a pony, but still polished and professional-looking enough that it could belong to the girl who edits your research papers. It suits my multiple personalities! Yay! The inside even has polka dots sprinkled across the top of every page, so that kicks it up way into "did someone design this for me personally?!" territory. 

     STASHING THINGS INSIDE THIS FAT LITTLE CAT COOKIE JAR


     When I saw this at Target the first time, I told myself I was going to wait for it to go on sale, because I really have no need for a twenty dollar cookie jar shaped like a cat. But the next time I was there, I looked at it again and thought of how sad I'd be if it sold out before I got one, and I couldn't stand it. I just wanted it in my life, I don't know what else to tell you. So I had to buy it. I think I'm going to start writing down good things that happen to me and really nice compliments and stashing them on little cards in there so that at the end of this year I can look back and remember all the great stuff that's happened. Kind of cheesy, but sometimes I need a little help maintaining my optimism, and I think that will help. 

FINALLY READING THE HOBBIT SO I CAN BE INTO ALL THE NERDY THINGS IN THE WHOLE WORLD



     You may find it hard to believe, since I've already made clear that I like all the nerdy things, but I've never read the Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I had always wanted to, but I had this notion that the books were all insurmountably long for some reason. But one day I saw a box set of the Hobbit and the trilogy, and it looked totally do-able. Just four nice little moderate-sized paperbacks. So I went for it! I started reading the Hobbit about a week ago, just a chapter here and there before bed, and now I'm halfway through it. I was surprised at what an easy read it is, actually! I'm looking forward to finishing it so that I can see the movies without guilt, since I always like to read the book before seeing the movie. 


HONORARY KIND-OF-CHEATING FAVORITE: SNUGGLEPUP MCGEE HERE


     It's kind of cheating because Sophie is a favorite all the time, not just this week, but Amanda wanted me to include this picture she took, so I told her I would. Sophie was feeling snuggle-deficient that day, so I told her she could come up on my bed for some cuddles just this one time (she's normally not allowed on my bed) and she was just pleased as punch. And let's face it, so was I, because she is a delight to snuggle with. 



No comments:

Post a Comment