Monday, April 8, 2013

Peepers, painting, and powerwashing.

     I had one of those weekends where at the end of each day, you're convinced you ate breakfast about a week ago.
 
     Saturday morning I got up bright and early (well, not really. It was so early the sun had barely even come up yet, so the "bright" part of that is a smidge misleading) to go to the Lineman's Rodeo, which is always interesting. Watching those guys scamper up a pole like chipmunks at hyper-speed was seriously impressive. I mean, I take a break halfway up the stairs sometimes, and that's way easier. Then I visited my sister to deliver a selection of highly fattening foods (she needs to gain weight while pregnant, I like to make calorie-bomb type foods. Dream team!). When I got home, it was right back out the door again to Lowe's, since it's finally started feeling like spring, and that means working outside! On a sidenote, what's the big idea of having super-cute gardening gloves at Lowe's, but only having them in ONE SIZE, which is way too big for my (very average-sized, I feel) hands? Unacceptable.Get your act together, Lowe's!


     By the time the day was over, I was so tired that I actually fell asleep almost immediately, and I don't remember waking up in the middle of the night too much, either. To most people that's probably nothing special, but if you know me at all, you'll know it's beyond rare to actually hear me say "I slept well last night!"

     On Sunday it was back to my sister's place to paint the ceiling of the nursery. Ugh. Ceilings are miserable. Taping everything off (no one in our party is confident enough in their skills at cutting in with a brush to go tape-less) was bad enough, but ughh the painting. I only did about 1/5th of it before I decided "Nope, this is the opposite of fun" and quit. I'm helpful like that. We had planned to do the second coat of paint on the walls as well, which was to be a decorative metallic wash, but it...did not go well. I'll attempt to make this long story short: the paint guy at Lowe's told us you get the same color, one in a semi-gloss base and one in a metallic base, but they're pigmented the same. Well, this turned out to just make it look like a crappy paint job when you layer the two together, because they're not different enough to look intentional. So that idea went out the window, and now we're rethinking the whole plan. But it'll come together soon enough. 

     After that whole debacle, I came home to more things to do: move the furniture back onto the newly painted porch, spray the weeds, repot a plant, power-wash the sidewalk. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all. I like having things to do. Makes me feel useful. Plus it's satisfying to get things done outside in the nice weather. I especially enjoy the powerwashing -- it's satisfying in the exact same way as peeling old paint or wallpaper off of something. You can really see what you've done, you know?

Oooh, gratuitous infomercial-style "before and after" shot! Did I dunk half of this sidewalk in Oxyclean or what?
    
     Since we're talking about spring cleaning and spruce-ups, I figure this is as good a time as any to introduce my new favorite thing about my room: THIS CHAIR. Oh my glob you guys, this chair is so comfy.


Also featured: my wreath, which I finally dug out and found a place for. Oh, and my uterus and cupcake plushies, because I'm a very serious grown-up type.
  
     Ok, so it looks a little like an exploded pink meringue. That's ok, I can work with that. The reason it looks like that is because underneath, it looks like this:


Womp-woooomp, sad trombone.
    
     Lookin' a little worse for wear there, buddy. So, because I'm not ready to tackle trying to replace or cover the cushions, and because I am utterly ridiculous, I covered it in my fluffy pink duvet. And now it's like sitting in a delightful pink cloud. At some point I would like to cover it, because I know it looks a little nuts, but in the meantime it's cozy as hell. I'm sitting in it as I type this, and it's so nice to be able to sit and work on the computer without getting that pain in the knobble where my neck meets my spine.


     So that's what I've been up to all weekend. Now it's warm enough to leave my windows open, the peepers are a'peeping like a free white noise soundtrack, and I'm hoping to get another good night's sleep, extending my all-time streak to two nights in a row. Can it be done? I don't know, but I shall try valiantly. 

Just thought I'd end with this pretty sunset over the pasture so we can all feel a little more relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment