Monday, February 18, 2013

Polka Dot ALL THE THINGS.

     When I found this old pair of jeans in my closet clean-out, they needed some help. They fit nicely, but I wasn't a huge fan of the wash, I hated the flares, and the hem was destroyed in the back anyway. 


    I decided to deal with the flares first. Turning flares into skinny jeans is a lot easier than you might think. All I did was turn the offending jeans inside out, lay a pair of skinnies with a good fit on top (lining them up with the inside seam, which stays the same), and trace where they needed to be taken in with a pen.


     Then I sewed along that line, tried them on to check that they looked right, and cut off the extra. The new seam got a quick serging to keep it from unraveling or fraying. I lopped off a few inches at the bottoms and re-hemmed them at a nice cropped length (I like my skinny jeans to hit just above the ankle bone in a nice 50's silhouette. Just a personal preference).

     Finally, I added white polka dots to the jeans using a round sponge brush and matte white fabric paint.  After they dried overnight, I had this cute new pair of jeans!


    They may not  be everyone's cup of tea (Amanda called them "interesting," which I'm not sure is exactly a compliment), I think I'll get a lot of wear out of them since I consider polka dots a neutral.


No comments:

Post a Comment