Monday, February 25, 2013

A Jolly 'Oliday with Mary

     Yesterday my sister and I went to see Mary Poppins performed live at the Landmark Theater in Richmond.


     It was supremely enjoyable. Although, can we just get something out in the open right away and admit that nobody likes Mary Poppins because of Mary Poppins? We all like it for Bert. He's way cooler. We're all agreed on that, right? Because when you get right down to it, Mary Poppins is a little creepy. And I know I'm not the only one that thinks so.

 
Seriously, watch this.

     All the performers were amazing (I don't know how they keep it together enough to sing while floating around on wires or walking across the ceiling), and the sets were particularly impressive, both in design and in the crafting of all the little magical tricks Mary Poppins pulls. 

     I was also impressed by the costumes -- I found myself thinking things like "People sure were dapper in 1910" and "I wonder if I could rock a bustle..." and "Why don't more people dress like old-timey chimney sweeps?" Which brings me to the only problem...

     Mary Poppins' coat game is tight. Girl knows how to work that outerwear. So obviously now I need to go spend a few hours online window-shopping wistfully for fabulous coats. 



No comments:

Post a Comment