Friday, December 7, 2012

Glow-in-the-Dark Everything

     There are two main reasons I love glow in the dark stuff: It makes me easier to find if I wander off in the dark, and it's cool as hell. Well, it can be cool. Glow in the dark stuff kind of gets a bad rap sometimes as being the cheapo gimmick of t-shirts that come out of a cannon. I'm a fan of any kind of glow in the dark, but I get why some people think it's less-than-classy. 

Pictured: My kickass glow-in-the-dark Ghostbusters t-shirt. Not Pictured: class, sophistication, dignity, regret.

     But you can shine on, you crazy diamond, and keep it classy at the same time. Promise! Here are two of my favorite glowies that look just as pretty in the harsh glare of daylight. 

     First up, we have this necklace that my mom got me as a birthday present. It's from Etsy (link here), and I wear it most days (almost all the days that I bother getting dressed, at least). Here's what it looks like in the light:


And here's what it looks like when the lights are out.


     I believe the words you're looking for are "DAMN, SON." Because that is gorgeous. It charges really well just from wearing it out and about in the sunlight, if that's a thing that you do, and the blue is unusual enough that even seasoned ravers will be impressed with the glow on this one. 

     Next up is my latest acquisition: a glow in the dark Troll bead! It's called "Inner Glow" because the company is run by Danish hippies and they can't resist that sort of thing. In case you're curious (maybe you got here by googling Troll Beads and going far, far into the seedy underbelly of the search results, I don't know your life), the names of the beads in the picture below are, from left to right, Dichroic Ice, Dark Leopard (I think?), Inner Glow, Milky Way, Silver Mountain, and Earth. Anyway, here's what it looks like during the day (third from the left, remember):


And when the darkness is all-consuming:


     Preeeettyyyy! Troll beads are a pretty classy deal to begin with, all "handcrafted" this and "artisan designed" that, but if you're a person that knows how to practice restraint (teach me your ways!) you could just wear the glow in the dark bead by itself with spacers holding it in place for a minimalist look. I am a maximalist (shut UP spellcheck, I do what I want!), so I wear the beads I've collected over time all at once. 

     The third, uncredited glow-in-the-dark item in this post is my pasty white Casper skin in the first picture. I'd like to blame it on winter, but let's be real, this is pretty much a year round thing. I'm the reason white people are called white instead of light beige. I'm available for hire to stand in your photos so it's super easy to white balance them. And other such pale jokes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment