Monday, May 16, 2011

Indiana Jones and the Pretty but Historically Insignificant Earrings

Lately I'm into jewelry that looks like it was recently excavated. I stopped by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts with the roommate on a "why not" kinda day a few weeks back. I'd been once before to see the Picasso exhibit, but hadn't had time to look around the rest of the place. Well, on this day I STILL didn't get to see the rest of it, because it's kind of ridiculously huge. But we did get to see a couple exhibits that included ancient jewelry, which was really, really cool. Ever since then I've been on a kick about jewelry that looks...well, ancient. 

So the other day at Hobby Lobby, I saw these earring base thingies that have that sort of ancient Sumerian vibe that I dig and snatched 'em up, then set off down the bead aisle, squinting at things and going "hmmmmmm" until a vision came together. Then, with help from my mum in the "actually putting things together" department, these earrings were born!


I'm really happy with how they came together. Ancient Sumerians would love these: perfect for a nice day of sacrificing someone to the volcano gods or cutting out some hearts. Although...Sumerians didn't do either of those, they pretty much just did a lot of dancing. Hm. That's cool, the dancing part is probably more suited to my lifestyle anyway. 


No comments:

Post a Comment