Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Career goals? What are those?

For a sociology class, I was asked to write a short reflection essay on my career goals and how the class might help me achieve them. Wondering how that worked out for someone who generally despises all classes and has no clear career goals? Well, my essay started like this...
As far as career plans go, I’m still a little fuzzy. Right at this very moment, I think I’d like to do something in writing or editing, be it for magazines, newspapers, books, or for some company that would like to pay me to know about grammar. Of course, that’s very likely to change, because I have a little bit of what I call the Barbie Complex: I want to have about a hundred different careers, like astronaut/teacher/veterinarian Barbie. Wouldn't mind being blonde either....
And ended like this...
From a less idealistic, grand-scale viewpoint, I have to admit that this class could help me be more successful in a different way. It’s the only class I have that I’m taking simply because I thought it might be interesting. The rest of my classes were essentially chosen for me, and I don’t particularly care about any of them. So, if this class turns out to be worth going to, it could keep me from dropping out and running away to Puerto Rico, where my career would probably involve climbing trees to get coconuts for tourists, which isn't exactly what most people would call success. No disrespect to professional coconut harvesters.


Oh yeah, my professor isn't gonna hate me at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment