Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Recipe roundup!

     I've made some really tasty things lately (aside from just grilled cheeses, of which I have consumed approximately eight thousand in the past week). And that's not me bragging about my cooking prowess, if anything that's me bragging about how awesome it is to be a human being in this state of evolution where we can make complex deliciousness anytime we want instead of just eating leaves and berries that look "maybe, probably" not poisonous. Hooray, modern times! Anyway, like I said, I can't brag about the tasty things I made because they weren't my recipes. I made a few changes here and there, but the credit goes to the internet for the basic plans. Here are some of the things I can recommend, with links to each recipe in their titles.

  1. Thai Peanut Noodles
         I've made these three times in the last month or so. Sometimes you just want noodles, you know? And sometimes you're me, and you want noodles 100% of the time, every day until you die. This recipe is super fast and pretty easy to throw together, as long as you don't get distracted.
         My changes: I don't add any vegetables, because I'm a human carb-compacter and I can't be bothered with things like "vitamins" and "nutrients." Just kidding, I do eat healthy things too, I just find them too boring to talk about here. I like to add chopped peanuts to the top of this dish for a little texture. Also, I don't know what "chili-garlic sauce" is, and if I don't know what it is, it's probably not in my house, so I just use cayenne pepper to add a little heat (ok, a lot of heat. If it's spicy enough to make you do unintentional duck lips, you're doing something right!).

  2.  Cinnamon Rolls
         I made these a while back, but like an old flame that got away, I still think fondly about them from time to time. They are --very obviously, I feel-- not diet food. They are either special occasion food or "I am depressed to the point of having given up on putting anything other than sugar and the occasional baked potato into my body," aka PMS food.
         My changes: Don't do maple frosting. I'm sure it's tasty and all, but life is too short to waste an opportunity for cream cheese frosting. Making cinnamon rolls and not putting cream cheese frosting on them is like winning the lottery and not using part of the money to put a room in your house behind a hidden bookcase entryway. LIFE: DO IT RIGHT.

  3. French Macarons
         I'm throwing you for a bit of a loop with this one: I haven't actually tried this recipe. I used a recipe from somewhere else, and although they did taste really good, as you saw in Friday's favorites post, they weren't exactly picture-perfect. The recipe I've linked to here is the one I found after the fact (of course) that I wish I'd used. It's a million times more specific, and weirdly seems less complicated and time consuming than the recipe I used, except for the part where it tells you to use "aged" egg whites, which I can tell you right now I will never, ever do. Ain't nobody got time for that! As if I ever know what I'll want to eat three whole days from the present moment. I'm not a freaking soothsayer, ya know. But I will be trying this recipe soon, and I'll report back to let you know if they're beautiful and amazing or sad and darkly hilarious. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment