Friday, April 1, 2011

The Mad Men Dress

I'll be honest: this dress was sort of a pain in the butt to make. It's full of pleats and my arch-foe: darts. I find darts to be, as Tina Fey would say, "a total ass-ache." That said, it was worth all the time and effort, because all that annoying stuff really makes the dress fit like a dream.




Please excuse the fact that there are weird creases everywhere that weep sadly and call "Iron meee!" softly into the night.  I was tired when I finished this dress and if I had to plug in the iron ONE MORE TIME I was gonna freak.

This probably took me around 4-6 hours total. Some of which was spent staring at the pattern instructions going "huh?" and "why on earth would I do that?" It's a bad habit I have: I'll get to a certain point in the pattern and just decide "um...no, I'm definitely not gonna do that." For example, I was supposed to put a facing in this dress at the neck. I have a strange personal vendetta against facings, because I find they're often unnecessary and almost always insufferably annoying. So...that got skipped. 

This dress also marks a momentous occasion: the first time I ever installed a zipper! I was anxious, because everyone in the entire world seems to despise putting in zips. After a few Woopsy moments (all undo-able, luckily) I got it figured out, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. 

So there you  have it, the Mad Men Dress. I want to wear it around Richmond and pretend to be a time-traveler from the fifties, acting really confused and asking people "What year is this?!"

Not that anyone would believe me. I think wearing a dress this short in the fifties might have caused a trifle of a scandal.




No comments:

Post a Comment